Due to the Coronavirus Pandemic, Butler County and Mars Borough Council have authorized the extension of the due date for 2020 County/Borough Real Estate Taxes until November 30, 2020.
If your tax payment is postmarked by November 30, 2020 you may pay the face value. If payments are postmarked after December 1, 2020, you must pay the penalty value.
At this time, the 2020 school tax due dates are expected to remain the same. Municipalities and schools throughout the state may have chosen to set different due dates and penalty dates.
*This information only applies to Mars Borough residents.*
Property & School Taxes
MARS BOROUGH TAX COLLECTOR: RENEA POMEROY
Mailing Address: PO Box 298, Mars, PA 16046
Cell Phone: 724-487-5518
Email Address: MarsBoroughTaxes@gmail.com
Office Hours: Available by phone Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Available in person by appointment only. Additional hours available at the Mars Library at the end of Discount Period (last two weeks of April and September). These hours are noted on the Mars Library Calendar of Events.
Mars Borough Taxes
- All Mars Borough tax identification numbers (Parcel ID) begin with the numbers ‘450’.
If your Parcel ID begins with the numbers 01, you live in and pay taxes to Adams Township even though your mailing address is Mars. See link below for Adams Township Tax Office
- This office collects only Mars Borough, County and School Real Estate Taxes. If you don’t own property in Mars Borough, then your taxes are not collected by this office.
- Berkheimer Associates collects most other taxes. See link below.
- The Mars Tax Office has nothing to do with the IRS.
- Mars Borough does not impose a Per Capita Tax.
- If you make changes to your building (adding a deck, remodeling, adding an addition, etc.), your taxes may increase. These taxes may be called Interim taxes.
Note that most improvements to your property require a permit from Mars Borough! Please visit the Zoning and Permits tab on the marsborough.com homepage.
- The tax rates for Mars Borough are:
- Local General………………..17.38 mills (as of 01/01/2018)
- Local Library………………….1.5 mills (as of 01/01/2018)
- Local Fire………………………1.0 mills (as of 01/01/2018)
- County General……………..21.402
- County Debt………………….3.289
- County BC3…………………..2.935 (Butler County Community College)
- Mars Area Schools………..000 mills*
Tax Notices & Due Dates
- Mars Borough tax notices are mailed to you around the beginning of March.
Mars School District tax notice is mailed around the beginning of August.
- Due dates for Borough and County taxes are:
- March 1 – April 30 …….. 2% discount is given
- May 1 – June 30 …………. tax is due at face value
- July 1 – December 31 … 10% penalty is added (I will consider postmarks to be “on time”.)
- Due dates for Mars School District taxes are:
- August 1 – September 30 ………. 2% discount is given
- October 1 – November 30 ………. tax is due at face value
- December 1 – December 31 ….. 10% penalty is added
- After December 31 ………………… taxes are delinquent and additional interest will be added
- Even if you do not receive a tax notice, you are responsible to pay your taxes on time.
- It is your responsibility to keep your address current with the tax claim office in Butler. If you have changed your property address information (i.e. got married, moved, paid off a mortgage, taken an equity loan, etc.) you should inform the tax office in Butler. I will help you to make that change if you give me something in writing. Additionally be aware that often mortgages are sold or transferred to another institution and addresses where bills are sent will change. Most mortgage holders are very responsible about paying your tax at discount for you.
- Taxes paid after December 15 can be paid to the Mars Tax Collector with certified funds (cashier’s check, money order) only.
Delinquent Taxes (not paid by December 31) can not be paid to the Mars Tax Collector. Delinquent taxes must be paid to the Tax Office at the Butler County Courthouse with certified funds (cashier’s check, money order).
Paying Your Taxes
By Mail…….Make checks payable to:
Do not make the checks payable to Mars Borough or to Mars Area Schools.
Please be sure you have sufficient funds! A $35 fee will be added for NSF checks and may cause late penalties.
Don’t mail cash. In fact, payments in cash in person are not desirable.
If you want a receipt, please include a Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope with your entire bill.
Credit Cards………………..Not available at this time
Electronic Payments…….Not available at this time
In Person……………………..You may call for an appointment to pay your taxes in person and I will meet you at the Mars Library, Mars National Bank, or the Mars Post Office. I will have limited office hours at the Mars Library during the last two weeks of discount period in April and September.
Other Tax Offices
|Butler County Tax Office||
Janet Mentel is the current Supervisor 724-284-5327
|Butler County Assessment||
Chris Savage is the current assessor 724-284-5316
|IRS Consumer Alerts||https://www.irs.gov/uac/suspicious-e-mails-and-identity-theft|
|Adams Township Tax Collector||http://www.adamstwp.org/?page_id=21|
|Pennsylvania Department of Revenue||http://www.revenue.pa.gov/GetAssistance/ContactUsbyPhone/Pages/default.aspx#.V4Vk-mN7FEU|
|Mars Area School District||http://www.edline.net/pages/Mars_Area_School_District/District_Overview/Budget_Information|
|Butler County Treasurer||
Diane Marburger is the current Treasurer 724-284-5149