Property & School Taxes
MARS BOROUGH TAX COLLECTOR: RENEA POMEROY
Mailing Address: PO Box 298, Mars, PA 16046
Cell Phone: 724-487-5518
Email Address: MarsBoroughTaxes@gmail.com
Office Hours: Available by phone Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Available in person by appointment only. Additional hours available at the Mars Administration Offices (301 Arch Street) at the end of Discount Period (last two weeks of April and September).
Mars Borough Taxes
- All Mars Borough tax identification numbers (Parcel ID) begin with the numbers ‘450’.
If your Parcel ID begins with the numbers 01, you live in and pay taxes to Adams Township even though your mailing address is Mars. See link below for Adams Township Tax Office
- This office collects only Mars Borough, County and School Real Estate Taxes. If you don’t own property in Mars Borough, then your taxes are not collected by this office.
- Berkheimer Associates collects most other taxes. See link below.
- The Mars Tax Office has nothing to do with the IRS.
- Mars Borough does not impose a Per Capita Tax.
- If you make changes to your building (adding a deck, remodeling, adding an addition, etc.), your taxes may increase. These taxes may be called Interim taxes.
Note that most improvements to your property require a permit from Mars Borough! Please visit the Zoning and Permits tab on the marsborough.com homepage.
- The tax rates for Mars Borough are:
- Local General . . . . . . . . . . 18.83 mills (as of 01/01/2018)
- Local Library . . . . . . . . . . . 1.5 mills (as of 01/01/2018)
- Local Fire . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1.0 mills (as of 01/01/2018)
- County General . . . . . . . . . 21.723
- County Debt . . . . . . . . . . . .2.968
- County BC3 . . . . . . . . . . . . 2.935 (Butler County Community College)
- Mars Area Schools . . . . . . .000 mills*
Tax Notices & Due Dates
- Mars Borough tax notices are mailed to you around the beginning of March.
Mars School District tax notice is mailed around the beginning of August.
- Due dates for Borough and County taxes are:
- March 1 – April 30 …….. 2% discount is given
- May 1 – June 30 …………. tax is due at face value
- July 1 – December 31 … 10% penalty is added (I will consider postmarks to be “on time”.)
- Due dates for Mars School District taxes are:
- August 1 – September 30 ………. 2% discount is given
- October 1 – November 30 ………. tax is due at face value
- December 1 – December 31 ….. 10% penalty is added
- After December 31 ………………… taxes are delinquent and additional interest will be added
- Even if you do not receive a tax notice, you are responsible to pay your taxes on time.
- It is your responsibility to keep your address current with the tax claim office in Butler. If you have changed your property address information (i.e. got married, moved, paid off a mortgage, taken an equity loan, etc.) you should inform the tax office in Butler. I will help you to make that change if you give me something in writing. Additionally be aware that often mortgages are sold or transferred to another institution and addresses where bills are sent will change. Most mortgage holders are very responsible about paying your tax at discount for you.
- Taxes paid after December 15 can be paid to the Mars Tax Collector with certified funds (cashier’s check, money order) only.
Delinquent Taxes (not paid by December 31) can not be paid to the Mars Tax Collector. Delinquent taxes must be paid to the Tax Office at the Butler County Courthouse with certified funds (cashier’s check, money order).
Paying Your Taxes
Please be sure you have sufficient funds! A $35 fee will be added for NSF checks and may cause late penalties.
Don’t mail cash. In fact, payments in cash in person are not desirable.
If you want a receipt, please include a Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope with your entire bill.
Credit Cards………………..Not available at this time
Electronic Payments…….Not available at this time
In Person……………………..You may call for an appointment to pay your taxes in person and I will meet you at the Mars Library, Mars National Bank, or the Mars Post Office. I will have limited office hours at the Mars Administration Offices (301 Arch Street) during the last two weeks of discount period in April and September.
Do not make the checks payable to Mars Borough or to Mars Area Schools.
For the March Local Tax Bills, please make checks payable to:
Do not make the checks payable to Mars Borough!
For the September School Tax Bills, please make checks payable to:
Do not make the checks payable to Mars Area Schools!
Other Tax Offices
|Pennsylvania Municipal Statistics||
This is the site used by Berkheimer to determine your PSD code for Earned Income and Local Service Tax.
|Butler County Tax Office||
Janet Mentel is the current Supervisor 724-284-5327
|Butler County Assessment||
Chris Savage is the current assessor 724-284-5316
|IRS Consumer Alerts||https://www.irs.gov/uac/suspicious-e-mails-and-identity-theft|
|Adams Township Tax Collector||http://www.adamstwp.org/?page_id=21|
|Pennsylvania Department of Revenue||http://www.revenue.pa.gov/GetAssistance/ContactUsbyPhone/Pages/default.aspx#.V4Vk-mN7FEU|
|Mars Area School District||http://www.edline.net/pages/Mars_Area_School_District/District_Overview/Budget_Information|
|Butler County Treasurer||
Diane Marburger is the current Treasurer 724-284-5149