County & Local Taxes
|Mailing Address||Box 298
Mars, PA 16046
|Home Office Address||108 Irvine Street
Mars, PA 16046
Located between McDonald-Aeberli Funeral Home and the Fire Department
Please call on the cell phone number first
|Office Hours||Monday – Wednesday – Friday: 9:00 – Noon
Monday evening: 5:00 – 7:00
Additional hours at the Mars Library at end of Discount Period
(Final days in May and September)
See calendar for dates and times.
- All Mars Borough tax identification numbers (Parcel ID) begin with the numbers ‘450’.
If your Parcel ID begins with the numbers 01, you live in and pay taxes to Adams Township even though your mailing address is Mars. See link below for Adams Township Tax Office
- This office collects only Mars Borough, County and School Real Estate Taxes. If you don’t own property in Mars Borough, then your taxes are not collected by this office.
- Berkheimer Associates collects most other taxes. See link below.
- The Mars Tax Office has nothing to do with the IRS.
- Mars Borough does not impose a Per Capita Tax.
- If you make changes to your building (adding a deck, remodeling, adding an addition, etc.), your taxes may increase. These taxes may be called Interim taxes.
Note that most improvements to your property require a permit from Mars Borough! Please visit the Zoning and Permits tab on the marsborough.com homepage.
- The tax rates for Mars Borough are:
- Local General…………. 830 mills
- Local Library ………….. .525 mills
- Local Fire………………… .525 mills
- County General ……. 983 mills
- County Debt …………. 710 mills
- County BC3 ………….. 710 mills (Butler County Community College)
- Mars Area Schools .. 000 mills
Tax Notices & Due Dates
- Mars Borough tax notices are mailed to you around the beginning of March.
Mars School District tax notice is mailed around the beginning of August.
- Due dates for Borough and County taxes are:
- March 1 – April 30 …….. 2% discount is given
- May 1 – June 30 …………. tax is due at face value
- July 1 – December 31 … 10% penalty is added (I will consider postmarks to be “on time”.)
- Due dates for Mars School District taxes are:
- August 1 – September 30 ………. 2% discount is given
- October 1 – November 30 ………. tax is due at face value
- December 1 – December 31 ….. 10% penalty is added
- After December 31 ………………… taxes are delinquent and additional interest will be added
- Even if you do not receive a tax notice, you are responsible to pay your taxes on time.
- “Lost in the mail.” “My mortgage company is supposed to pay it.” “Notice was sent to the wrong address.” I never got a tax notice.” and other such excuses are not acceptable!
- It is your responsibility to keep your address current with the tax claim office in Butler. If you have changed your property address information (i.e. got married, moved, paid off a mortgage, taken an equity loan, etc.) you should inform the tax office in Butler. I will help you to make that change if you give me something in writing. Additionally be aware that often mortgages are sold or transferred to another institution and addresses where bills are sent will change. Most mortgage holders are very responsible about paying your tax at discount for you.
- Taxes paid after December 15 can be paid to the Mars Tax Collector with certified funds (cashier’s check, money order) only.
Delinquent Taxes (not paid by December 31) can not be paid to the Mars Tax Collector. Delinquent taxes must be paid to the Tax Office at the Butler County Courthouse with certified funds (cashier’s check, money order).
Paying Your Taxes
By Mail…….Make checks payable to:
Do not make the checks payable to Mars Borough or to Mars Area Schools.
Please be sure you have sufficient funds! A $35 fee will be added for NSF checks and may cause late penalties as well. (They really cause a lot of trouble!!)
Don’t mail cash. In fact, payments in cash in person are not desirable.
If you want a receipt, please include a Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope with your entire bill.
Credit Cards …………….… Not available at this time
Electronic Payments ….. Not available at this time
In Person……….. You can pay your taxes in person by stopping by my office during the office hours listed above. Note that there is no parking available in front of my house, but there is an alley behind my house where I provide ‘drive-thru” service. Call for directions before stopping by!
“No Charge” Services provided by Tax Collector David Cooper
Mars is a small friendly town and you can expect me to be cooperative and never judgmental! I enjoy meeting and knowing all taxpayers.
- If you are elderly, disabled or without transportation, I will gladly come to your home.
- I am available to meet tax payers at the Mars Library, Mars National Bank or Mars Post Office if you can’t find me at home.
- I try to be available at all times for local homeowners by phone. My office hours are intended for banks, mortgage companies, real estate agents, businesses, etc.
- I can provide a duplicate bill, an amount owed or change an address if you provide a request in writing.
- I do not give numbers over the phone. However, I can answer “Yes-No” questions like “Are my taxes paid?” “Did you deposit my check?”. Numbers can be heard or copied incorrectly and confusion can result.
- I try to remind everyone by mail at the end of the “Face Period” if they haven’t paid their taxes and also remind them that additional penalties may be added. My objective is to help you avoid paying the penalties!
Other Tax Offices
|Butler County Tax Office||http://www.co.butler.pa.us/county-treasurer-Property-Tax
Janet Mentel is the current Supervisor 724-284-5327
|Butler County Assessment||http://www.co.butler.pa.us/property-and-revenue-assessment
Chris Savage is the current assessor 724-284-5316
|IRS Consumer Alerts||https://www.irs.gov/uac/suspicious-e-mails-and-identity-theft|
|Adams Township Tax Collector||http://www.adamstwp.org/?page_id=21|
|Pennsylvania Department of Revenue||http://www.revenue.pa.gov/GetAssistance/ContactUsbyPhone/Pages/default.aspx#.V4Vk-mN7FEU|
|Mars Area School District||http://www.edline.net/pages/Mars_Area_School_District/District_Overview/Budget_Information|
|Butler County Treasurer||http://www.co.butler.pa.us/county-treasurer
Diane Marburger is the current Treasurer 724-284-5149