Mars Borough, Butler County under a Drought Watch. Click here to learn more.
Borough Offices Closed: In an effort to limit the potential risk of COVID-19 to visitors and/or Borough Employees, the offices of Mars Borough are closed to the public. You can call 724-625-1858 to have questions answered or make an appointment to speak to someone in person, drop-off/pick-up permits, etc. If there is no answer, please leave a message and someone will return the call as soon as possible during regular business hours. As always, water payments can be dropped through the mail slot on the front door or payment can be made online at www.MarsBorough.com. (Note: Payments over the phone are not accepted at this time.) Please remember, if you do make an appointment to come into the office in-person a mask is required and social distancing will be observed as much as possible.
Due to the Coronavirus Pandemic, Butler County and Mars Borough Council have authorized the extension of the due date for 2020 County/Borough Real Estate Taxes until November 30, 2020. If your tax payment is postmarked by November 30, 2020 you may pay the face value. If payments are postmarked after December 1, 2020, you must pay the penalty value. At this time, the 2020 school tax due dates are expected to remain the same. Municipalities and schools throughout the state may have chosen to set different due dates and penalty dates.
*This information only applies to Mars Borough residents.*
Mars Borough Bulletin Board
Stay up to date on important news and information.
- See the Public Safety Resource Page for COVID-19 related information.
- Mars Borough is seeking one (1) candidate to fill one open seat on the Zoning Hearing Board. If you are interested, please call the Borough Office at 724-625-1858.
- Mars Borough is seeking two (2) candidates to fill two open seats on the Planning Commission. If you are interested, please call the Borough Office at 724-625-1858.
A Message from Your Mayor
- Mayor Signs Declaration of Disaster Emergency - This declaration is being made by Mars Borough to coordinate response measures which may need to occur with state and county officials. This is a public announcement not intended to alarm residents of any new health risks and/or incidents taking place within our community that would be addressed by the appropriate medical authorities for our […]
- Staying Healthy in Mars (Updated) - Update 03/10/2020: The President, his administration, and the federal government has made the most up to date information available recently via this website: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html They ask us to take commonsense steps for our families, schools, churches, eating establishments, and senior centers. It is all spelled out on the website. Please share this link for information […]
- Fall begins! - Fall begins and we all get into a different rhythm of life as the days get cooler and the leaves begin to turn colors to start their fall to the ground in our town. Obviously, we at the borough are trying to plan what will be our possible dates for leaf pick-up! Watch for the […]
- Summer Message from Mayor Hartung - Summer is here and the temps are heating up! Be smart and be safe. On behalf of the elected officials and employees I want to “thank you” the residents, business owners, and voters who call Mars Boroug h your home for helping with July 4th and Mars New Year. We celebrated together the country that […]
- Reflect, Stand in Place, & Move Forward - We are fortunate in being able to review, do what we are able to do within a day, and plan for the future! The Christmas holiday has us do these three steps each year. Recall those special memories, give and receive during the year-end holiday in many ways to say our “thank you” to those […]
- Thanksgiving Message from Mayor Hartung - On Thanksgiving, my family with friends, will join folks across our community in sitting down together to give thanks for the good in our lives. When I look back over the years I have served as Mayor, what strikes me most is that, despite the challenges, for the most part, we have remained kind to […]
- It’s Autumn in Mars! - Fall begins and we all get into a different rhythm of life as the days get cooler and the leaves begin to turn colors to start their fall to the ground in our town. Fall brings the longstanding Mars Apple Fest on October 6, 2018 beginning at 10:00 AM and running until 4:00 PM throughout […]
- Working Together to Make Mars Better for Tomorrow - Helping our community be the best it can be is a challenge that is always in front of me and town council members. We hear the suggestions and take them seriously! We hear the complaints and try to address them with a fair and commonsense approach to resolve the various situations. Working together is the […]
- Summer is a good time to learn! - Maybe a little less structure, but still encouraging children and our youth to be learning throughout the summer is essential for our community! The Mars Public Library has been and continues to be one of the best assets serving the area year-round. In the summer, when schools are closed and retooling for the fall, the […]
- Mayor’s 4th of July Message - MARS FOURTH OF JULY July 4th Festivities will begin with a picnic on the square in the downtown, where the spaceship is located, beginning at 3:00 PM. The afternoon will be full of food, fun, music, activities for children, and good conversation. Parade line-up will begin at 4:00 PM at Marburger Field and the Parade […]
- Mars Bank to Sponsor Shred Day - Mars Bank is sponsoring Shred Day at the Richland Township Municipal Building on October 10, 2020. Have documents shredded while remaining socially distanced in your car. Donations benefit the Rich-Mar Rotary. Click here for more details!
- September 30, 2020 Crowe Avenue Shutdown - On Wednesday, September 30, 2020, at 6:00 PM, Mars Borough Public Works / Water Department will be shutting down a portion of Crowe Avenue between School Street and Clark Street in Mars Borough to perform work on a water line. The closure is expected to last several hours and the road should be reopened by […]
- Trick-or-Treat - Mars Borough Council has approved Trick-or-Treat to be held on Halloween Day — Saturday, October 31, 2020 — from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM. Residents are encouraged to maintain social distancing whenever possible, and to have fun and enjoy this Fall activity.
- Fire Ban Lifted - On Monday, September 21, 2020 Mars Borough Council voted to lift the ban on open burning that had been in place for several months due to extremely dry conditions. Recreational fires — fires contained in a fire pit/ring/etc. — were permitted, with caution, during the open burning ban.
- Residents Asked to Conserve Water - Mars Borough is asking residents/Mars Borough Water Department customers to conserve water. On Friday, August 21, 2020 the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection declared a Drought Watch for 16 counties in Pennsylvania, including Butler County. (Click here for the press release.) Mars Borough is currently operating under a State I Drought Watch STAGE I: DROUGHT […]
- Ban on Burning Extended Indefinitely - On Monday, August 17, 2020 Mars Borough Council voted to extend the ban on open burning indefinitely. This decision came after Adams Area Fire Department encouraged all municipalities within its coverage area to label the ban as “indefinite.” At the meeting on Monday evening, Fire Chief Tim Llewellyn stated members of the public have seen […]
- SPC Survey - The Southwestern Pennsylvania Commission is asking residents of 10 counties in southwestern Pennsylvania to take a survey on public transportation. The survey is designed to help inform decisions on public transportation and connecting the various counties. Read more about it on the SPC website: https://www.spcregion.org/2020/08/12/regional-planners-conducting-survey/. And, if you’re interested, take the survey: https://survey.smartmovesconnections.org/.
- NASA Launches Perseverance Rover to Mars! - Watch as NASA launches the Perseverance Rover to Mars!
- Crowe Avenue Shut Down - On Thursday, July 23, 2020, at 6:00 PM, Mars Borough Public Works / Water Department will be shutting down a block of Crowe Avenue between School Street and Clark Street in Mars Borough to perform work on a water line. The closure is expected to last several hours and the road will be reopened by […]
- No Burning - On Monday, July 20, 2020 at a Borough Council Meeting, Mars Borough Council voted to temporarily ban the open burning of any items, including yard waste, tree trimmings, etc. at the request of Adams Area Fire District. Dry weather conditions have meant that grass can easily catch fire and that fire can spread quickly. Please […]
Upcoming Meetings & Events
Budget MeetingOctober 26, 2020 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
598 Spring Ave, Mars, PA 16046, USA
Mars Borough will hold several meetings to discuss the 2021 Budget. These meetings will be held at the Borough Building at 598 Spring Avenue, Mars, PA 16046.
Budget Meeting Dates:
Monday, October 26, 2020
Monday, November 23, 2020
Thursday, December 3, 2020
Monday, December 14, 2020
These meetings, like Council and Agenda Meetings, are open to the public.
Council MeetingNovember 2, 2020 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Mars Borough Municipal Building
- All Mars Borough Council meetings are open to the public.
- Public Comment is welcome. (At the time of publication, time limits have not been imposed on visitors, however there is a possibility time limits will go into affect in 2020.)
Reserved - Planning Commission MeetingNovember 9, 2020 @ 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm
- All Mars Borough Planning Commission meetings are open to the public.
- The Date and Time for Planning Commission meetings is pre-selected, however if there is nothing to be addressed by the Planning Commission the meetings will not take place until the next required meeting.
- Check www.MarsBorough.com for scheduled Planning Commission meetings.
Veterans DayNovember 11, 2020
PAYMENT DUE FOR 4TH QUARTER WATER BILLSNovember 15, 2020
PAYMENT DUE FOR 4TH QUARTER WATER BILLS
You can mail your payment to: Mars Borough, PO Box 395, Mars, PA 16046 or you can drop a check or money order off at the Borough Office located at 598 Spring Avenue, Mars, PA. If you cannot bring payment during Office Hours, you can drop your payment through the mail slot at the front door and your payment will be applied the next work day.
You can also pay online by going to http://www.marsborough.com and clicking on the QUICK LINK: PAY YOUR WATER BILL ONLINE link located on the homepage.
If you have any questions, please contact us at 724-625-1858.
Agenda MeetingNovember 16, 2020 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- All Mars Borough Council meetings are open to the public.
- The purpose of Agenda Meetings is to discuss topics in further detail and prepare for the next month's regular Council Meeting.